The purpose of a property transfer certificate is to, at the time of property transfer (i.e. sale of property), verify the adequacy of an existing onsite wastewater treatment system (OWST). At the time of property transfer, properties with an OWTS that is older than 10 years will need to pass an onsite wastewater treatment system inspection to ensure that the OWTS operates properly. If the OWTS does not pass this inspection, a repair permit will be required to correct deficiencies.
Effective January 1, 2011, prior to the sale or transfer of ownership of property served by an onsite wastewater treatment system, property owners shall be required to obtain a property transfer certificate unless exempted or waived as noted below.
If the onsite wastewater system serving the dwelling or structure was installed and given final approval by the Stone County Health Department (SCHD) ten (10) years or less prior to the date of closing on the property sale, a property transfer certificate shall not be required. If an OWTS inspection is requested by the buyer or lending institution, a copy of the inspection shall be filed with SCHD.
The following situations will not require a property transfer certificate:
1. The change in ownership is solely to include or exclude a spouse.
2. The transfer is creating or ending a joint ownership if at least one person is an original owner of the property and/or his/her spouse.
3. The transfer of property contains a building or buildings connected to an OWTS that will be demolished (or already has been), and the building/buildings will not be occupied after the property transfer.
4. The transfer of property is to a trust.
5. The transfer of property is to effect foreclosure or forfeiture of real property.
6. The dwelling or occupied building will be connected to a sanitary sewer or a shared system within the next two years following the transfer of title.
Application Requirements A. Applications for a property transfer certificate shall be made on the appropriate form furnished by SCHD and shall include:
1. Name, address, and phone number of current owner.
2. Name, address, and phone number of current occupant, if different from owner.
3. Address of the property.
4. Property I.D.#
5. Size of the property in acres, rounded to the nearest tenth acre (1/10).
6. Type of water supply.
7. Type of existing building or structure (if commercial, list all uses or tenants).
8. Number of bedrooms in the dwelling, including one bedroom per every 600 square feet of unfinished living area.
9. Statement from the current property owner regarding the present operational status of the onsite wastewater system.
10. A non-refundable certificate fee of $25.00.
11. A report from an OWTS Inspector who has been certified and licensed by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (MDHSS). The form cannot be dated more than ninety (90) days prior to the date of submitting the property transfer certificate application.
ALL REPORTS SHALL BE SUBMITTED ON THE SCHD ONSITE WASTEWATER SYSTEM INSPECTION REPORT FORM THAT IS PROVIDED BY SCHD. C. Unless a property transfer certificate is issued, applications shall become void ninety (90) days from the date of application or at the time of closing on the property. 5.11.3 Issuance of a Property Transfer Certificate A property transfer certificate will be issued to any owner of a property with an OWTS upon completion of a property transfer certificate application and submission of the required documents verifying compliance with these regulations.
A. When the conditions in Section 5.11.1 have been met, SCHD shall issue the property transfer certificate.
B. The property transfer certificate shall remain valid for a period of four (4) years from the date of issuance.
Waiver of Property Transfer Certificates If it is determined that an onsite wastewater system is failing the requirement for a property transfer certificate may be waived, provided that: A permit is issued to repair or replace the onsite wastewater system within one (1) year of the closing date of the sale or transfer of the property.